FAQ and Other Information Regarding EarlyWatch Alert (SV-SMG-SER-EWA)
Important Information About ST-SER 720
- SCU is now available for ST-SER 720 for all Support Pack levels.
- If you're facing a dump when trying to apply updates thru AGS_UPDATE please apply SAP Note 2421718 .
- EWA generation is tightly related to Solution Directory (SV-SMG-OP).
- For more information, please visit https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/x/PYziGg
- Can I generate an EWA report on Solution Manager that is not connected to SAP?
It is possible to generate an EWA report on a Solution Manager that is not connected via SAP Router to SAP. Perform all the necessary setup such as SOLMAN_SETUP (Basic Configuration & System Preparation). Complete the Managed System Configuration. In addition, refresh the Service Definitions using SAP Note 727998. It is important that you download the transport file mentioned in the note and follow the steps from the note. If there is an issue downloading this file from SAP, open an incident in component SV-SMG-SDD.
- Where can I find sample EarlyWatch Alert reports?
Refer to the URL - https://support.sap.com/ewa - Documentation - Sample Reports.
- Can the EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) be customized?
In general it is not possible to customize the EWA with the exception of enabling certain optional content. For complete details, refer to 1829914 - Customize EWA Reports.
- Is it possible to generate a monthly EWA report?
No, it is not possible to generate a monthly EWA report. The EWA is a weekly report with an analysis period of Monday-Sunday. For more information, refer to 1829914 - Customize EWA Reports.
- Can client 066 be deleted?
Yes, this client can be deleted as it is no longer relevant for processing EWAs. Refer to 1897372 - EarlyWatch Mandant 066 - Can Client 066 be deleted?
- Is it possible to transfer EWAs between Solution Managers?
It is not technically possible to do so - Refer to 2272382 - Transferring EWAs Between Solution Managers
- How to generate the EWA in a different language?
Refer to 1903254 - Generate an EWA report in a different language. For issues relating to language, refer to the following:
EWA Cannot be Created in Japanese, Chinese, etc. on ST-SER 720 SP06 - Solution Manager - Refer to 2439537
EWA Cannot be Activated in Japanese, Chinese on Solution Manager 7.2 - Refer to 2483496
- Is it possible to have multiple Solution Manager generate an EWA for one managed system?
Yes it is possible to do so. Refer to 2248788 - Can more than one Solution Manager process the EWA for a Managed system?
- How to generate an ad-hoc EWA on a 7.1 Solution Manager system?
Refer to 2131244 - How to create an Ad Hoc EarlyWatch Alert in SAP Solution Manager 7.1 [Video]
Important - SAP Note 2055436 - After upgrading to SP12 Ad Hoc EarlyWatch Alert stops working
- How to generate an ad-hoc EWA on a Solution Manager 7.2 system?
Refer to 2357073 - How to create an Ad Hoc EarlyWatch Alert SAP - Solution Manager 7.2
- Can I generate an EWA for Solutions in Solution Manager 7.2?
EWA for Solutions do not exist in Solution Manager 7.2. This feature existed in Solution Manager 7.1, but is no longer available in Solution Manager 7.2. You can no longer create a solution for EWA reporting purposes.
- Why my EWA generated on Solution Manager is not the same as the one generated at SAP?
This is expected since the EWA generated at SAP will not have the BW data but rather only SDCCN data. The EWA at the customer site will use a combination of SDCCN data and BW data and therefore the output will be different. It is therefore recommended to use the EWA that is generated on your Solution Manager system. More emphasis is being placed on using the SMD agent (BW) data for the EWA report as it offers more flexibility in reporting.
- Why my EWA reports for different managed systems look different?
In some EWA chapters, Performance - for instance - might look different if you compare two or more EWA reports, even if you have perfect Managed System Configuration and a Green Rated Section 3. It is still different. The reason for that is the fact that different SAP Products have different metrics e.g. a SAP Netweaver Application Server will have different performance indicators compared to an SAP SCM (Supply Chain) and vice versa.
What is important to highlight is the fact that is not possible to change it and add or remove metrics customizing EWA for any of the managed systems and if you need a deeper analysis on performance indicators please reach out to our performance team SV-PERF.
This is valid for other chapters as well and other product systems as well.
- Where to find and download EarlyWatch Reports that are older than 7 days on Solution Manager 7.2? - Refer to 2484589
- EWA report for JAVA systems do not generate automatically from Solution Manager 7.2 System - Refer to 2492836
- I am planning to change the installation number of Solution Manager, what steps need to be considered? - ABAP systems that generate EWA reports will no longer work unless SDCCN is updated with the new installation number of Solution Manager. Refer to 2544520 - ABap EWA (EarlyWatch Alert) report is Grey rated after changing Solution Manager installation number.
- How to reset EWA report session? - Refer to 2573840
- Using a Third Party Job Scheduling Tool for EWA - Refer to 2613713
- BPC Checks Chapter not available in EWA report - Refer to 2484049
- What should I do about performance concerns in the EWA? - Refer to 2659522
How to check if my managed system is supported for generating EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) reports - Refer to 1257308
How to setup/configure EWA reports on a Solution Manager 7.1 or 7.2 system - Refer to 1907383
EWA sessions are showing with Red Flag or session overdue as shown here 1769513- Refer to
EWA System ID (SID) is not showing in Solution Manager EWA configuration screen.
This could be an issue where the system number is not the same in LMDB and in SMSY - Refer to 2360057
EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) for HANA 1511 or HANA 1610 or HANA 1611 or BW/4HANA is not shown in System Monitoring area of the Work Center - Refer to 2341945
EWA Cannot be Created in Japanese, Chinese, etc. on ST-SER 720 SP06 - Solution Manager - Refer to 2439537
EWA is rated Grey - Refer to Summary of Grey EWA Rated Reports 1824881
Error 'Cannot create refresh session task in managed system' when creating an EWA report - Refer to 2468710
Cannot get the managed technical system's TMW destination message when creating an EWA - Refer to 2387537
RFC Configuration in SDCCN for Generating EWAs - Refer to 2584981
Unable to Activate TREX Checks in EWA using Solution Manager 7.2 - Refer to 2655586
EarlyWatch Alert Management: SDCCN Status is Disabled - 2657349
- About SCU refer to 1143775 - SAP Service Content Update
- SAP Backend system is overloaded message when using AGS_UPDATE or SM:SERVICE CONTENT UPDATE - Refer to 1864209
- ABAP Runtime Error in AGS_UPDATE - SNAP_NO_NEW_ENTRY - Refer to 1855262
- AGS_UPDATE is returning an error: "No Maintenance Agreement found. Contact SAP contract department" - Refer to 1839896
- Job SM:SERVICE CONTENT UPDATE fails with AGS_DSWP_INFRA023 - Refer to 1660111
- SDCC_OSS issue in AGS_UPDATE - Message no. AGS_DSWP_INFRA000 - Refer to 1788467
- How to Reset Service Content on SAP Solution Manager 7.0 and higher - Refer to 1814723
- SAPSQL_ARRAY_INSERT_DUPREC dump in AGS_UPDATE when applying updates - Refer to 1835575
- Transaction AGS_UPDATE locked (in TCD SM01) after Updating to Solution Manager 7.1 SP13 - Refer to 2170735
- Service Content Update failure - short dump "IMPORT_FORMAT_ERROR" - Refer to 2081323
- Message No Authorization is shown when trying to run Download Updates in AGS_UPDATE - Refer to 1862963
- CONNE_IMPORT_WRONG_COMP_TYPE On Running Activate Service Content Update - Refer to 2421718.
- Exception CX_SY_CONVERSION_NO_NUMBER when selecting '(De-)Activate Content' date in AGS_UPDATE - Refer to 2528613
How does SAP Support analyze dumps with regards to Service Sessions such as EWA and SLR reports?
Refer to SAP Note 700518 - SAP Service Sessions: How To Do Error Analysis
When should I refresh the Service Definitions (t-code SDCCN) as outlined in SAP Note 727998 ?
Determine if the dump generated on your system is shown in 1765141. Only if the dump is mentioned here should you refresh the Service Definitions via transaction SDCCN .
How to resolve Syntax Errors shown when generating an EWA report?
Check if the dump has the keyword '1AGS' as this is an indication the dump is due to the Service Content Update Process. Refer to 2285891 - How to resolve Short Dumps for: SYNTAX_ERROR in the /1AGS* namespace.
Database error -206 at OPC > SQL0206N
Refer to SAP Note 2394077 - Database error -206 at OPC > SQL0206N
Syslog: Database error 362 at OPC when processing EWA task for a system on HANA - Refer to 2273003
UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION CX_DSVAS_API_CHECK_INSTANCE when generating EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) - Refer to 2375870
Runtime exception CX_DSVAS_API_CHECK_INSTANCE when generating EWA report
The reason for the exception is: &EA<SESSION NO>&: Context instance not registered: &R3_SYSTEM& &<SID>& - Refer to 2531892
Runtime exception CX_DSVAS_API_SERVICE_SESSION when generating EWA report
Dump occurs when generating an EWA session that was created on an old service session - Refer to 2590342
- Troubleshooting service sessions - Refer to 1702475
- SAP Service Sessions: How To Do Error Analysis - Refer to 700518
- SM:EXEC SERVICES is taking a long time to complete - Refer to 1817223
- No more storage space available for extending an internal table - Refer to 2457245
- SM:EXEC SERVICES job failed with the message: Logon of user in client failed when starting a step - Refer to 1853143
- EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) not rated and SM:EXEC SERVICES job log showing permission denied or Exception CX_SEND_REQ_BCS shown - Refer to 1852580
- SM:EXEC SERVICES fails with CX_SY_DYNAMIC_OSQL_SEMANTICS - Refer to 2375420
- EWA Report is not generating on the scheduled day. Example the EWA is scheduled to generate on Monday however it is generating a day or two after.
This could be an issue where the job SM:EXEC SERVICES is not scheduled at the correct time. Refer to 1919991 - Delayed EWA report generation.
- TIME_OUT Dump on SM:EXEC SERVICES Check if parameter "rdisp/max_wprun_time" has the recommended value at SAP Note 1582842
- CX_SY_CONVERSION_OVERFLOW or CX_SY_ARITHMETIC_OVERFLOW dumps on SM:EXEC SERVICES - Refer to 2402131
- Dump LOAD_TEXTPOOL_NO_MEMORY when executing service session or sm:exec services - Refer to 2553804
- SM:EXEC SERVICES canceled with dump OBJECT_OBJREF_NOT_ASSIGNED when scheduling EWA session - Refer to 2467950
- Function module UPG_INT_IS_BRIDGE_SYSTEM does not exist when generating EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) sessions - Refer to 2596799
- SM:EXEC Services Log Shows "Info. for system <SID> in solution <Solution Name> cannot be sent(sol. manager settings)" - Refer to 2627636
- STRING_LENGTH_TOO_LARGE in /1AGS/ATECH_INIT_LANDSCAPE_006 - Refer to 2655461
- Ad-hoc EWA cannot be created / weekly EWA session is not created by SM:EXEC SERVICES [Video] - Refer to 2577103
- Cannot access SOLMAN_EWA_ADMIN via SAP GUI for JAVA - Refer to 1840690
- System status shows unknown in EWA setup - Refer to 1901201
- EWA gets reactivated even after deactivated in SOLMAN_EWA_ADMIN - Refer to 2012178
- EWA admin page shows system type as HANA even system is actually ABAP or Java - Refer to 2268393
Is it possible to send the EWA as an attachment?
As of Support Package 12 of Solution Manager 7.1, it is possible to send EWAs via email as an attachment
The steps are:
Run transaction SOLMAN_SETUP
Click on "EarlyWatch Alert Management"
Click on "Maintain Recipients"
The options are:
HTML - EWA will be sent as an attachment in .htm format.
Word - EWA will be sent as an attachment in MS-Word format.
LINK - EWA email will be sent with a link to download the EWA.
Not able to send EWAs via e-mail?
Refer to T/S Guide: EarlyWatch Alerts (EWA) reports in Solution Manager 7.1 not being sent by email - 1826552
Refer to T/S Guide: EarlyWatch Alerts (EWA) reports in Solution Manager 7.2 not being sent by email - 2531994
Refer to Configure Solution Manager 7.1 for EWA reports to send via email automatically - 2126485
EWA report email issues in Solman 7.2 SP6 system - 2575110
EarlyWatch Alert: Solution Manager 7.2 how to setup/configure EWA reports or add email recipients - 2282944
Automatic generated EWA HTML report in short version issue - 2416743
The image icons of HTML Report are not displayed in EWA email body
Refer to 2363154
If the EWA description in the subject header has changed from: EWA_<SID>_YYYYMMDD_<Criticality Color> to the new format: EWA_<SID>_YYYYMMDD_<Criticality>
This is not an error. This is the new format and is by design as of ST 7.1 SP13. The description of that Traffic Light condition is being used rather than the color of the light.
Refer to 2197968 for more details.
Not able to send EWAs to SAP?
Refer to 1684537- EarlyWatch Alert not sent to SAP: troubleshooting guide.
Email recipients did not migrate from 7.1 to 7.2?
Refer to 2478184 - EWA e-mail recipient migration from Solman 7.1 to 7.2 was not successful
I am generating an EWA report in Word and an error is shown.
Ensure that you are using a 32-bit version of Word and also ensure the Trust setting in Word is set correctly.
Refer to 2012166 - EWA cannot be generated in Word format.
Cannot generate EWA in MS Word format after OS/DB migration - Refer to 2386901
Missing EWA Ratings in Exported Excel File - Refer to 2582250
How to generate Fiori EWA report manually - Refer to 2588445
PDF or HTML EWA Report attached with email does not have correct language or does not have the cover page - Refer to 2585594
How to implement archiving for EarlyWatch Alert (EWA) sessions - Refer to 2661928
Sessions with at least one of the chosen Bundle_IDs may not be deleted' using RDSVAS_REDUCE_DATA - Refer to 1925319
How to delete old EWA sessions according to retention times automatically through a job - Refer to 2427041
Wrong selection of systems for session's reorganization - Refer to 2595803
• Issues with RDSMOPREDUCEDATA report when filtering EWA sessions for deletion
• Applicable only to ST 720 SP5 and SP6
EarlyWatch Alert Workspace
Q1. What is the EarlyWatch Alert Workspace?
The EarlyWatch Alert Workspace is the central landing page for all SAP EarlyWatch Alert applications. It shows the most important results from the latest service reports across all systems. Such examples as the most critical technical issue that happened the prior week and the system landscape health in general. More information can be found in the blog: SAP EarlyWatch Alert Workspace – gain an overview on your system landscape health
Q2. What systems are supported for the EarlyWatch Alert Workspace?
In the past, the support was only for ABAP system on HANA database, however support is now available for ABAP system running on any database, e.g. ERP on HANA, Oracle, MS SQL.
Q3. What configuration is needed in order for the EWA reports to show in the EarlyWatch Alert Workspace?
EarlyWatch Alert reports are required to be sent to SAP on a regular basis. There are 3 possible scenarios:
- The EWA service is activated in SAP Solution Manager on-premise and the Send to SAPflag is set in the app Configuration – SAP EarlyWatch Alert.
- The data is sent directly from the monitored system, as described in SAP Note 207223.
- Private Cloud scenario: The data is sent from the Solution Manager of the private cloud provider to SAP.
If there is an issue sending EWAs to SAP, refer to 1684537 for troubleshooting the data collection and sending reports to SAP.
Q4. What authorization is needed to view the reports in the EWA Workspace?
S-user can only see data for their specific customer number. This is assigned with the Launchpad authorization “Service Reports & Feedback” on customer number level.
The authorizations for the ONE Support Launchpad a provided by the Super Administrator on the customer side. See https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1996168 and https://support.sap.com/dam/library/ssp/support-programs-services/about/launchpad/help/concept-users_authorizations_administrators.html
Q5: Where to get help for the EarlyWatch Alert Workspace?
If you require further assistance, open an incident in component SV-SCS-EWA
In the SAP One Launchpad - EarlyWatch Alert Workspace, the message below is shown:
50053] - Incomplete The dimensions binding OR
50053] - Unvollständige Dimensionsbindung
Delete the cache from the Internet browser and then close and open the browser again. Try if the issue is resolved then. Otherwise open an incident in component SV-SCS-EWA.
A system was deleted from the Solution Manager landscape, and on System Data on SAP Portal, but in EWA Workspace is still showing the system. You would like to remove this.
After 3 month without any data sent to SAP the system will be removed automatically from the Cards in the EWA Workspace.
EWA reports are missing from the EWA support Launchpad.
Refer to 1684537 - EarlyWatch Alert not sent to SAP: troubleshooting guide.