This page provides a comprehensive overview on Job Management with all related aspects, such as Business Background, Goal, Concept, Implementation, related Information.
In order to seamlessly execute business processes, in which different SAP and non-SAP systems are involved, scheduling of background jobs should be managed by a central, solution wide tool.
Job Management comprises several applications to establish standardized, formal processes in order to support the management of centralized end-to-end solution wide background operations, i.e.
Processes for requesting new jobs, job changes or deletion of jobs
Documentation and central scheduling of jobs
- Central monitoring of jobs and error handling in case of failures
Job Management is one of the elements of the Run SAP like a Factory - concept. By providing centralized Job Management capabilities, it supports central Job Operations and Monitoring activities. In case an Operations Control Center is available or to be set up, monitoring and error handling procedures can be ideally taken over by a central monitoring team.
Job Management is also documented as E2E Solution Operations standard provided by SAP.
Provide an efficient and consistent Job Management Process:
- Manage batch processing efficiently by having a central and living Job Documentation implemented
(see here for ABAP job, BW Process Chain or externally scheduled job)
- Manage changes to batch processing by integrating with Solution Manager Incident Management and optionally with ChaRM or via BAdI with any ticketing tool.
- Have a centralized batch job scheduling concept in place
- Have a centralized batch job monitoring concept for ABAP, SBOP, DS, SMSE Jobs and BW Process Chains in place using the Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure of SAP Solution Manager
- Jobs are managed by Solution Manager only
- Jobs are scheduled from Solution Manager directly into the Managed System using, e.g. the XBP interface for ABAP jobs.
- Jobs are managed by Solution Manager and SAP CPS / BPA (or any SMSE certified job scheduler).
- The scheduling information is handed over from Solution Manager via SMSE interface.
- Job execution is triggered by the scheduler into the managed system, e.g. via the XBP interface for ABAP jobs.
SAP ABAP (i.e. SM36), BOBJ, DS jobs and BW process chains can be scheduled centrally with SAP Solution Manager, i.e. Solution Manager can communicate directly with the corresponding scheduler in the SAP system or with external schedulers, like SAP CPS or SAP BPA by Redwood or any SMSE (Solution Manager Scheduling Enabler) certified scheduler.
SAP External Scheduler: SAP BPA and SAP CPS
The SAP external scheduler comes in two versions:
- SAP Business Process Automation by Redwood (SAP BPA) is a chargeable version. You can download it from the Service Marketplace. An overview on new features can be found in SAP Note 2005087.
- SAP Central Process Scheduling by Redwood (SAP CPS) is a free (OEM) version, being part of the SAP NW Java Stack. This version will stay in the NW products as long as SAP NW 7.x is supported by SAP.
SAP BPA by Redwood allows to schedule SAP background jobs, BW chains, ISU mass activities, Java MDB, Jobs on OS level on many platforms (all SAP supported operating systems), Jobs on non-SAP systems.
New with Solution Manager 7.2
With Solution Manager 7.2, new features were made available, mainly
- Integration with Solution Documentation
- Integration of the Job Request process with any ticketing tool (not only ITSM)
- Enhanced scheduling support (improved Gantt Chart, Scheduling Assistant)
- Job Monitoring framework opened up via BAdI for new job types (e.g. cloud ABAP jobs, but also customer specifics)
Implementation of Job Management
Job Management is technically implemented through a Guided Procedure in Solution Manager configuration.
As the implementation has numerous integration aspects with different business and IT areas, we recommend following a project approach guided by a RSLF Business Process Operations Roadmap. You can access it via Roadmap Viewer.
To get an comprehensive overview on the implementation, we recommend to attend an Expert Guided Implementation (EGI) for Job Management. For this see overall EGI Information and prerequisites for EGI for Job Management in the Media Library
See further information in Support Portal - Solution Manager Processes - Business Process Operations .
For further questions, or any other information regarding Job Management, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please find related information in the Media Library right hand side of this page. Important questions for Job Management are answered in page FAQ: Job Management in SCN Wiki.
Related SAP Notes/KBAs
SAP Note 1729766: CPS - Solution Manager Integration Setup
SAP Note 1161405: Accumulative Note for "SAP CPS for SAP Netweaver"
SAP Note 2146911: SAP Business Process Automation 9.0 by Redwood: Supported Platforms
SAP Note 2502427: SMSE/BAE setup in SAP BPA 9.0
SAP Note 2038659: Central Note for Job Monitoring: Prerequisites for SP12
SAP Note 521820: Availability of Business Process Monitoring
Demo System and Training
SAP BPA and SAP CPS
CA Automic One Automation
Central Job Overview
JM Health Check
- No labels