Dear Focused Insights users,
This article explains how to use the system monitoring data provider.
The Data provider /STDF/DP_SYSMON gives you access to all metrics of MAI’s (Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure) system monitoring scenario. Data are read from Solution Manager’s BW.
2. Supported Renderer
The SYSMON data provider supports this following renderers:
- Line chart
- Area chart
- Column chart
- Bar Chart
- SLR Renderer
- SLR Table Renderer
- Table History Renderer
- Trend Table Renderer
- Waterfall Chart
- Column Chart
- Stack Bar Chart
- Stack Column Chart
- Stack Column Chart2Label
- Dual Line Chart
- Dual Line-Column
- Dual Bar-Column
- Pie Chart
- Donut Chart
- Line-Column Chart
3. Metrics Description
Here is a table explaining all possible attributes for the metrics:
|SID||System ID list from LMDB||ALL|
|Metric_Names||Name of Technical Monitoring Metric|
Aggregation type, supported values are :AVG, MAX, MIN, AVG_MAX, SUM and AVG_MIN
|Instances||Filter based on instance||ALL|
|Instance_Type||Filter based on instance type||ALL|
|Hosts||Filter based on host||ALL|
|Metric||Technical Name of the metric in the Technical Monitoring||ALL|
|Hours||The list of hours : 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23.||ALL|
|Weekdays||The list of days in the week is: MO, TU, WE, TH, FR, SA and SU||ALL|
|Drilldown||The type of drilldown is : instances, hosts|
PS: The attribute Drilldown exists only for 7.2 SP1 and 7.2 SP2 Versions
4. Attributes Description
The DP for System Monitoring has 4 tabs for attributes in 7.2 SP1 and 7.2 SP2 Version:
- Metric Type/Hour/Weekday
4.1 Default TabTo add a Sysmon data provider in the overview table:
To add a Sysmon data provider in the overview table:
●Select data provider System Monitoring
●Select a Metric
●Select a Metric paths in case it’s available (this column is displayed only if you have already selected a metric)
●Select a Method
4.2 Instance/Host tab
The list all hosts and Instances available on the SAP Solution Manager depends on the SID selected in the default tab.
In this tab, you can filter the instances and/or instances type and/or hosts for a selected SID or list of SIDs.
4.3 Metric Type/Hour/Weekday Tab
The metric type Tab displays 3 columns:
- Metric (1): select a MTE_CLASS.
- Hours (2) : to restrict reported values on Hour
- Weekdays (3): to restrict reported values on Week Days
This metric is retrieved from the MTE_CLASS in the technical monitoring.
For example, to retrieve the MTE_CLASS for the Dialog_Users metric, you have to follow the bellow steps:
- Go to Solman_Setup
- Application Operations => Sytem Monitoring
- Choose the step 4: Template Maintenance
- Choose the right template in the technical system
- Select the Metrics tab,
- Choose the needed Description and click on Expert Mode
- Select Data Collection tab
4.4 Drilldown (only for 7.2 SP1 and 7.2 SP2 Versions)
The drilldown Tab displays 1 columns with two values:
The purpose of the drilldown functionality is to display the data related to a specific metric or to all of the metrics that are applicable on the selected system(s) by instance or by host.
- You have to make sure that the selected metric is not a system metric,otherwise you will have no data displayed
- When selecting drilldown=Instance, make sure you don't choose an instance on instance/host tab to get the data related to all instances in the selected system. Otherwise you will be getting the data related only to the chosen instance.
- When selecting drilldown=host, make sure you don't choose a host on instance/host tab to get the data related to all hosts in the selected system. Otherwise you will be getting the data related only to the chosen host.
In order to be accessible from this data provider, metrics must be configured an activated properly. Moreover, the metrics must be reported to SAP Solution Manager’s BW.
One way to configure this data provider is to first identify the metrics you are interested in from Solution Manager’s system monitoring tree (System Monitoring application). From there, you can first make sure that the metrics are working properly and then retrieve the metrics’ technical name you’ll need to configure the data provider.
The following procedure details how to configure this data provider:
- Go to Technical Monitoring Work Center
- Select Technical System
- Start System Monitoring application
- Open a node at Technical System level
- Select the metric in the tree (metric should have a numerical value)
- Select “Check Data Collection”
- Click “Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure Directory Browser’’
- Copy the metric name
PS : Check the Data Usage : Make sure that the Granularity = Long: Like Medium; Additionally data for days,weeks, months, if you want to select a long period.
6. How to validate
The Sysmon Data is displayed in the OCC dashboard using the system Timezone. If the system timezone is different from the BW timezone, then the requested time range will be converted from system time to BW time and then the resulting dates will be reconverted back to system time.
6.1 How to validate without Drilldown functionality
For example , to validate the ABAP_SYST_DIALOG_USERS query , you need to compare the data with System monitoring.
6.2 How to validate with Drilldown functionnality (only for 7.2 SP1 et 7.2 SP2 Version)
- Renderer : LINE_CHART
- Query: /STDF/DP_SYSMON:SID=|Instances=|Hosts=|Metric_Names=ABAP_INST_TOTAL_USERS|Method=|metric=|Hours=|Weekdays=|Drilldown=Instance
To validate the total number of users, you need to compare the data with the system monitoring