Application Operations in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 provides System and Application Management capabilities for central monitoring, alerting, analytics, and administration of SAP centric cloud and on-premise solutions.
This wiki content is no longer maintained and has been moved to the SAP Solution Manager 7.2 expert portal page: https://support.sap.com/en/alm/solution-manager/expert-portal/introscope-enterprise-manager.html
The Introscope Host Adapter (aka WilyHost agent) is an application which runs inside the SMDAgent. One of the tasks of the Introscope Host Adapter is to collect data from different configurable destinations and push them to the Introscope Enterprise Manager. The following picture provide a big picture of the architecture of the Introscope Host Adapter.
All applications running inside the SMDAgent are available in the Agent Administration UI. The Introscope Host Adapter can be found as shown in the picture below.
- Agent Administration UI
- Application Configuration
The resources used by the Introscope Host Adapter application can be found under the 'Application Resources' node:
N.B.: When using the application configuration take care when performing changes. Changes should not be performed in the scope GLOBAL unless they are strictly required. The changes in scope global affect ALL SMDAgents connected to the Solution Manager system.
In Solution Manager 7.10, the Introscope Host Adapter is configured during the activity 'Introscope Host Adapter' of the Managed System Configuration for the target system. The following picture shows the exact location:
When the activity Introscope Host Adapter is performed, the application is configured to collect data from the managed system that will be monitored. The main files used by the agent are the following:
- Files create/modified by setup:
- File created during the Introscope Host Adapter setup activity. It contains the destinations configuration and the link to actions to be performed for each destination
- File is created from the IntroscopeSapAgent.profile.template. The host and port of the Enterprise Manager are configured in this file.
- Files used by application:
- The is a global template file that defines all the possible actions possible for collecting all the Introscope Host Adapter data.
- The is the XML schema file that defines the rules of validation for the WilyHostAgentTemplate.xml file. If you modify the action template it needs to conform to the schema.
N.B.: No manual configuration must be performed to the above files. The activity Introscope Host Adapter will configure the application automatically.
The file SAPAgentConfig.xml holds the configuration of the Destinations and the Actions that will be used/performed to collect data from the managed system.
- Destinations: The destinations will point out where the information will be collected. The destinations are configurable, for example a destination might be a Jco connection to the managed system or the location of a specific file.
For a typical double stack system you will have configurations generated for the following destinations:
- ABAP instance
- JAVA instance
- File (for GC)
The following picture shows an example of a Jco destination. As you can see, the Jco destination has the connection information to the managed system, client, user, password, system number and hostname of the application server.
- Actions: The actions indicates to the Introscope Host Adapter what are the metrics to be collected from the managed system. For all destinations in the SAPAgentConfig.xml a pool of actions are configured. The actions point to an action templates that are defined in the WilyHostAgentTemplate.xml file.
The following picture shows an example of some actions defined in a SAPAgentConfig.xml.
The SAPAgentConfig.xml fully configured looks as follows:
The following picture describes how the destinations and actions work in the managed system. As you can see, the destinations are the location where the data will be collected and the actions are the collections of data.
The file IntroscopeSAPAgent.profile holds the connection configuration to the Introscope Enterprise Manager. This file will tell the Introscope Host Adapter application what is the Enterprise Manager that the application must connect. The activity Introscope Host Adapter in the Managed System Configuration uses the IntroscopeSapAgent.profile.template file and then creates the IntroscopeSapAgent.profile. The following picture shows an example of IntroscopeSapAgent.profile.
If the Introscope Host Adapter applications shows issues, for example: agent is not connected to the Enterprise Manager or managed system metrics are not being collected. Then the SMDAgent logs must be checked to find out what is the root cause of the issue. The Introscope Host Adapter application may not work correctly due to distinct issues and the SMDAgent logs will show the root cause.
|Logging Information||Log File|
|Host Agent Information when trying to connect to the Enterprise Manage||/usr/sap/SMD/SMDA<xx>/work/jvm_SMDAgent.out|
|SMD Agent Application log file. All of the interesting logging for the Wily Host Agent will be found here||SMDAgentApplication.X.log|
|SMD Agent System log file||SMDSystem.X.log|