Application Operations in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 provides System and Application Management capabilities for central monitoring, alerting, analytics, and administration of SAP centric cloud and on-premise solutions.
This wiki content is no longer maintained and has been moved to the SAP Solution Manager 7.2 expert portal page: https://support.sap.com/en/alm/solution-manager/expert-portal/introscope-enterprise-manager/upgrading-enterprise-manager.html
Upgrade Introscope Enterprise Manager
This page summarizes hints on upgrading the Introscope Enterprise Manager (EM). The focus is to run the upgrade in a way to minimize the effort, also on Solution Manager side.
- The default installation folder for Introscope EM 9.x and 10.x is
- Installing a new EM on top of an existing installation is not supported.
- The procedure described below assumes that you continue to use the same host name and port for the upgraded EM. If you plan to change this there is no way to avoid touching the managed system setup. Furthermore, the Introscope agents accept updates to the EM connection data only with a restart: A restart of the managed systems will be needed.
Procedures for Solution Manager 7.2
With Solution Manager 7.2 you can install the EM into the same folder (after removing the old installation in that folder) or into a new folder. In any case the procedure will be the same:
- Stop the existing EM.
- Windows: Remove the Windows service e.g. via
- Move the existing installation to a backup folder.
- Perform the installation. Make sure that the same RMI port is used as for the previous installation that should be replaced in Solution Manager (default: 6001).
- Remember to install the management module package.
- Copy any other files that you want to keep from old EM (see below Copy files from the old EM after an upgrade).
- In Solution Manager Infrastructure Preparation Step 4 (Define CA Introscope), Discover the new installation. If the same host and port are used the previous version is replaced with the new one. Installation path is updated. Managed systems are connected and assigned to the new EM installation.
- In Basic Configuration step "Configure Automatically" perform the activity Push DPC Configuration to CA Introscope. See SAP Note 1751225.
Copy Files from the old EM after an Upgrade
- SmartStor: The so-called Introscope SmartStor contains the historical data for collected metrics: The location of SmartStor on disk is specified by properties
in file <EM_HOME>
/config/IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties. If you want to keep the already collected metrics move these folders from the old to the new EM. By default the covered historical time range is 31 days.
- The Introscope traces are stored in a folder that is configured with property
/config/IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties. If you want to keep the already collected traces move this folders from the old to the new EM.
- Transfer any custom management modules (located in <EM_HOME>
/config/modules) from the old to the new location. But do not overwrite newly installed standard SAP modules with older versions.
- Manually transfer any customization of existing configuration files. Do not completely replace the new configuration files with the old copies since you then may loose any newly introduced properties. Instead, selectively copy and paste any customization from your old files. Examples to be adjusted:
- Java VM parameters in file
Introscope Enterprise Manager.laxor
- Other modified properties in files <EM_HOME>
- HTTPS configuration in <EM_HOME>
/config/em-jetty-config.xml. Note: Starting with Introscope 10.7 the format of this file has been substantially changed - due to the switch to Jetty 9.4.x. Copying directly from 10.5 or earlier will fail. See SSL Communication for Introscope Enterprise Manager for details.
- Users and permissions in <EM_HOME>
- Thresholds for number of metrics, agents: <EM_HOME>
- Cluster load balancing: <EM_HOME>
- Java VM parameters in file
- Copy all certificate files used for single sign-on from SolutionManager. You find them in <EM_HOME>
- For monitoring capabilities of SAP SolutionManager and Focused Run:
- copy file <EM_HOME>
/config/agentclusters.xmlfrom the old to the new location.
- copy files <EM_HOME>
/sap/<FRUN_SIDs>_srsm.e2emai.propertiesfor FRUN (see SAP note 1751225).
- copy file <EM_HOME>
- Only if you have a full Introscope license: Copy this too from folder <EM_HOME>
/licenseand delete the default license
SAP.em.lic. There must be exactly one license file in this folder.
- If Emergency Monitoring feature available starting with Introscope version 9.7 is activated copy files <EM_HOME>
- DO NOT copy the contents of folder
sap/plugins. This might cause versioning conflicts. If you copy the complete sap/ folder of your EM installation then make sure to delete the sub folder sap/plugins. It will be re-generated with current plugin versions after restarting the Enterprise Manager.
This is an example script fragment illustrating the steps to be executed on Linux to perform the upgrade.
This script is provided to describe the upgrade activities on code level. It is not expected to work out of the box in your environment and SAP does not provide any support for this script. Input for enhancements is welcome, though - just leave a comment.