Frequently Asked Questions for System Monitoring
You can find the list of provided monitoring templates in the Solution Manager Configuration work center (transaction SOLMAN_SETUP). They are displayed in the area "Technical Monitoring", step 3 "Template Maintenance". If you do not yet have a Solution Manager 7.1 installed, you can also find a list of supported products here.
Technically a customer has 2 options for monitoring with SAP Solution Manager 7.1
- The new Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure (MAI) which was introduced with Solution Manager 7.1 (with SAP Host Agent and Diagnostic Agents). The applications are provided in the work center "Technical Monitoring".
- The "old" CEN based monitoring work center which was already available in earlier versions of Solution Manager (central CCMS with SAPCCMSx agents).The applications are provided in the work center "System Monitoring"
It is recommended to use the first option with SAP Solution Manager 7.1. Only with this solution you can benefit from the various new features like:
- Central configuration and administration of monitoring infrastructure from Solution Manager
- Automatic detection of landscape components via SLD
- Mass maintenance of monitoring configuration with templates
- Unified Alert Inbox
- Integration to interactive reporting capabilities
- Graphical monitoring applications
- Monitoring of non-ABAP based components like for example J2EE, Business Objects, HANA, standalone databases
- Integration to other monitoring scenarios like PI Monitoring, BI Monitoring, Connection Monitoring
This may involve some changes in the landscape (e.g. installation of Diagnostic Agents, Managed System Setup), especially for customers who have not yet enabled Root-Cause Analysis for their systems. In this case a customer can perform an upgrade to SAP Solution Manager 7.1 and still use option 2 for monitoring. The "System Monitoring" work center can still be used after the upgrade, with the same features as in Solution Manager 7.0. So it is not necessary to introduce the new monitoring infrastructure as a big bang project. However, there will not be any new features with this approach. If you want to use the features mentioned above, you should consider a switch to the new MAI.
The 2 infrastructures are completely distinct from each other.
- It is not possible to monitor Diagnostic Agents in RZ20 (as they are not necessary for a CEN)
- It is not possible to monitor SAPCCMSx agents from the new MAI (as they are no longer necessary there)
Here is a list of relevant support components, based on different problem areas:
Managed System Setup
SAP Host Agent
System Monitoring Setup (e.g. Content Update, Template Maintenance, Template Assignment)
Alert Inbox application
System Monitoring application
The ratings of metrics or alerts are not calculated correctly
Metrics are not collected correctly (e.g. grey metrics)
DB2 database metrics
MaxDB database metrics
MSSQL database metrics
Oracle database metrics
Early Watch Alert
|CCMS / RZ20||BC-CCM-MON|
Please first check if you question is answered by the Setup and Configuration wiki for System Monitoring.
- What is the difference between “Maintain Recipient Lists” and “Maintain Global Recipients”? Recipients have to be maintained for Alerting. Only those people who have been maintained as a recipient can be assigned to receive notifications, it is not possible to send a notification to a normal SolMan User, only recipients. It is possible to maintain and assign individual Users as Recipients but also you can create a list of recipients if you have a group of people (e.g. Senior Managers) who need to be assigned to several alerts for several systems. Maintain Global Recipients is to maintain individual users and Maintain Recipient Lists is for the lists.
- What is the Add and Delete for? Once you have defined a Recipient or Recipient List you can assign them here to receive notifications.
- When I go into recipient lists or global recipients it shows me a separate listing then displayed bellowed these buttons? This is showing the available recipients or recipient lists that can be assigned.
- Are the distribution lists, SAP office distribution lists? I cannot see or access distribution lists, only recipient lists, can you send another screen shot?
- Is there documentation on the My notification settings? I cannot find anything specifically on My Notification Settings. What is not clear, do we need some documentation here?
- Is an activation required after changes? Once you have added a recipient or recipient list no further activation is required.
The Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure provides the enhancement spot ALERT_REACTION where you can specify custom alert reactions. This enhancement spot and the corresponding Business Add-In (BAdI) BADI_ALERT_REACTION are described in the document "Alert Consumer BAdI Interface" on the following page: MAI_AlertInbox_Home.
This functionality can be used to trigger additional events in case of an alert like for example:
- Calling an external web service on a 3rd party incident management tool
- Write information to a log file
- Execute additional OS scripts on the SAP Solution Manage
Please perform the below mentioned steps to create custom template and disable the unwanted metrics for Reporting.
- Launch SOLMAN_SETUP -> Technical Monitoring -> System Monitoring -> Template Maintenance.
- Select the SAP Template which you have assigned to managed object for monitoring.
- Click on Create Custom Template button.
- Custom template is created and shown in the display area.
- Click on Metrics tab.
- Select the Metric which is not required for reporting.
- On the Metric details table, select "Data Usage" tab.
- Deselect the check box "Send Values to SAP Netweaver Business warehouse".
- Click on Save button to save the changes.
- Navigate to Define Scope step and select the required managed object
- Navigate to Setup Monitoring step.
- Assign and apply the custom template to the managed object.
Once the auto configuration is successful, reporting for the metrics will be disabled.
If you do not want to monitor the system anymore, you can remove the system from Monitoring.
This can be done on the "Define Scope" step. Select the system (or more than one system) and click on "Remove Monitoring" button. Click on yes on the confirmation pop-up. The system won't be monitored any more and you will not receive any alerts for that system. After this, if you want to monitor the system again, re-run the configuration by clicking on "Apply and Activate" button on the Setup Monitoring step for the corresponding managed system.
To remove the duplicate assignment, please perform the following steps.
- Select the managed system in "Define Scope" step and navigate to "Setup Monitoring" step.
- Select the system managed system and click on "Restore Defaults" button.
- Once the Default is restored, the duplicate assignment will be lost.
- Click on Apply and Activate button to start monitoring the system with the current template assigned.
There is a way to set up notifications system-wise, this can be necessary if different support groups need to be notified for systems that use the same monitoring template.
On system-level you can use business partner functions on system level (see the Setup and Configuration wiki for details). For Technical Instances, hosts and databases this is not possible so far. For these MO types you can use MO-specific configuration to do this.
- In the Setup Monitoring step, after performing the auto configuration (Apply and Activate), click on "Configure Managed Object" button.
- The template for the selected managed object will be opened in a new window.
- Make the required settings on the Notifications tab of selected Alert or/and on the Notifications tab in the managed object template based on your requirement.
- Save the changes made and close the window.
- Refresh the Setup Monitoring step.
- MO-Specific flag for the managed object will be ticked.
- Click on Apply and Activate button to activate the changes made at the Managed Object level.
What ever settings you made in the Managed Object template, will be specific to the Managed Object. Likewise you can do the required configuration for all the required managed objects.
Once the Managed Specific settings are maintained, the template level settings will be ignored by run time and only Managed Object settings will be taken into consideration.
In case, you need maintain notification setting at a different level then follow the standard SAP help guide.
Please perform the following steps to activate email notification only for alerts of a particular Category.
- Navigate to Solman_Setup -> Technical Monitoring -> System Monitoring -> Template Maintenance step.
- Select the template you are planning to assign to the managed object.
- Select Notifications tab.
- Select the option Inactive for "Auto-Notifications".
- Select Alerts tab.
- Select the Alert related to the Category.
- Select Notifications tab on Alert Details table.
- Make the Auto-Notification active. Add the required recipient/recipient list IDs.
- Click on save button.
- On the Define Scope step, select the managed object required and navigate to Setup Monitoring step.
- Assign and apply the template to the Managed Object.
Auto Notifications will be created only for the Alerts related to a specific category.
Check the package assignment of your template on the "Template Settings" tab. Your template most likely is assigned to the package $TMP.
Custom Templates created in $TMP (Local Object) are only local to that system. They cannot be transported to any other systems.
The package assignment of a template once created can never be changed. The only solution would be to use the 'Copy Custom Template' functionality to create a copy of the custom template and assign a different package.
If the use case is to create the custom template in development system and then transport it to production system, then while creating the custom template, they should be assigned to a valid customer package.
The reason you are not able to change the template assignment for the managed Objects is, MO-Specific setting flag is ON. Meaning, there are some specific settings maintained for the managed objects specifically.
If you would like to change the template assignment, following steps need to be followed.
- Select the Managed Object for which the MO-Specific flag is ON.
- Click on "Maintain MO-Specific settings" link. Managed Object template would be launched.
- Click on Expert Mode button on Managed Object template.
- Ensure you are in edit mode.
- Click on the "Reset all settings" button.
- Save the changes made.
- On the Setup Monitoring step, click on the Refresh button.
- MO-Specific flag would be OFF.
Now you can change the template assignment.
The alert priority which is displayed in the Alert Inbox is calculated from the alert severity (as defined in the template) and the current alert status:
Severity / Current Rating
0 to 2
3 to 5
6 & 7
8 & 9
In the default view, the alerts in the Alert Inbox are sorted by the calculated alert priority. You can also display the defined severity of an alert in a separate column. To do this, you have to click on "Settings" -> "Column Selection" and add the column "Severity".
If the Assignment status is Yellow for the corresponding managed object on Setup Monitoring step after the Managed Object specific settings are maintained, this means that the settings you maintained at the managed object template level are not activated on the managed object.
Please select the managed object and click on Apply and Activate button for the MO specific settings to be active. Once this is done the Assignment Status and Setup Staus would turn Green for the managed object and managed object specific settings will be taken into consideration during run time.
- Ensure that a valid email Id is available for background user who is triggering the auto-notifications.
- Check if the user intended to receive the notification is a recipient with a valid email/SMS.
- Check if the user intended to receive the notification is a recipient list(group) in which case check whether there are recipients in the recipient list. Please understand a recipient list is just a name of a group of recipients and only if there are recipients in it, can we send notifications.
- Check if the user intended to receive the notification has any notification settings and they are valid(on-duty, absences, substitutes etc).
- Check if the user intended to receive the notification has any on-Duty notification settings with factory calendar and holiday calendar mentioned. In such a case, please goto transaction SCAL and check if the calendars are upto date. If they are already expired, please refer to Note 501670(manual update) or 1426524(automatic update - Not recommended so it is Pilot release - If needed please raise a request against the component XX-CSC-XX)
With some support packages of Solution Manager there is no template available for SAP HANA on the technical system level. But to monitor SAP HANA standalone databases you need a template on technical system level to see a valid value in the System Monitoring system list and to access the hierarchy for the HANA system.
Perform the following steps to create a template for you SAP HANA system and turn the monitoring status green for HANA Technical System.
- Launch SOLMAN_SETUP -> Technical Monitoring -> Template Maintenance.
- Under Technical Systems select the 'Generic Product version.
- Create a custom template
- Select you SAP HANA system in step "Define Scope"
- Finally in step 6 "Setup Monitoring", you can then choose to 'Assign Templates' on the technical system level and from the dropdown menu next to "Generic Product Version" you can choose the custom template you just created.
- Then when you apply and activate the monitoring the technical system status will be aggregated from the underlying SAP HANA DB templates and displayed in the system list.
Please refer to blog for details on Work Mode settings.
Help link : http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp05/helpdata/en/62/28c8da113344eaa774f382ac22c53e/content.htm
This issue could occur if more than one ABAP instance is running on the same host.
A fix is available with
- LMSERVICE SP3 patch3
- LMSERVICE SP4 patch1
- LMSERVICE SP5
Assign the role "SAP_NOTIF_ADMIN" to the user.
If you still have trouble, follow the procedure given in the link. http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMAUTH/UC00042 . This is described in SAP note 1648302.
If the software components of the Product Instance you assigned during the managed system setup does not match the software components installed on the managed system, the extractors are flagged as inconsistent. This happens e.g. after the upgrade of a managed system.
• Check these software component versions (in case of ST_PI it is the software component SAP BASIS). • Check in the extractor details, the component version ID (which is the ID of the software component version).
All these versions needs to be consistent.
If any inconsistent versions are found you need to assign the correct Product Instance which includes the Software Component versions installed on the managed system.
- Check the Notes 1759626 has been implemented in the system
- After the note implementation, import the latest SP08 content (steps to import the content has been suggested in Note 1742119).
- After the latest content is imported and applied, use the report attached to Note 1696166 to clear any inconsistent entries.
Also for troubleshooting Technical Monitoring issues please see the Knowledge Base Articles (KBA's) below:
2184681 - How to Customise Alert Email Header in Technical Monitoring
2264627 - How to Troubleshoot Grey HANA Metrics in Technical Monitoring - SAP Solution Manager 7.1
2227586 - How to delete unwanted Managed Objects permanently from Technical Monitoring
2248060 - File System monitoring - How to exclude File Systems using Windows Regular Expression in Technical Monitoring
2202670 - File System Monitoring - How to exclude AIX/UNIX file systems using Regular Expression in Technical Monitoring
2178457 - How to troubleshoot Introscope Metrics (Enterprise Manager) in Solution Manager Technical Monitoring
2257249 - How to use File Text Pattern Search for File Monitoring in Technical Monitoring
2219816 - How to troubleshoot Notification issues in Technical Monitoring
2270160 - How to Identify Issues with the Metric Status propagated from Host, Database & Technical Instance in Technical Monitoring
2218186 - How to deactivate Automatic Incident Creation in Technical Monitoring, Solution Manager
2153218 - Responsibility of individual steps in Technical Monitoring under SOLMAN_SETUP
1875905 - How to Deactivate Earlywatch Alerts in Technical Monitoring