PurposeInternet Explorer has three different rendering modes (Quirks mode, Standards mode and Quirks Mode Emulation /QME/). The purpose of this wiki page is to explain how Web Dynpro ABAP application behaves in different modes. See also SAP Note #1753544 - Web Dynpro - HTML standards mode
- The Developer Tools (F12) setting overrides any document mode specified by a webpage. The setting remains active for the lifetime of the tab.
- In Internet Explorer 9 and higher, if the document is hosted in an iframe element, the document mode is determined by the document mode of the top-level webpage. Subdocuments cannot be rendered in IE9 mode unless the top-level document is also in IE9 mode.
- A meta tag with a value of X-UA-Compatible or a HTTP response header can override items in the Compatibility View Settings list and the doctype, unless the X-UA-Compatible value is a Compatibility View setting, such as IE=EmulateIE7 or IE=EmulateIE8.
- The Compatibility View settings can force a webpage to be displayed in a less-standard document mode.
- If none of these rules apply, the <!DOCTYPE> declaration determines whether the webpage renders in a standards mode, almost standards mode, or quirks mode.
The following KBA shows how to set Stnadards Mode in Web Dynpro: 2559858.
Web Dynpro in Standards mode
The Web Dynpro Framework was originally developed for Quirks mode, but now it also supports Standards mode. Standards mode is supported from the following Support Packages:
- SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2 SP015 (SAP_BASIS 702 SP15)
- SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP3 SP05 (SAP_BASIS 731 SP05)
- SAP NetWeaver 7.3 SP011 (SAP_BASIS 730 SP11)
- Fully supported with SAP NetWeaver 740 and above.
- Not supported with SAP NetWeaver 7.0 and SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP1.
- Quirks mode is not supported for 7.52 and higher.
Chrome, Firefox and Safari use Standards Mode rendering per default in 7.02 SP17, 7.30 SP13, 7.31 SP14, 7.40 and above. This might cause minor rendering issues e.g. the line height of text is different. The use of the old “Quirks” rendering has been stopped.
As of SAP_UI SP7 (SAPK-74007INSAPUI) the Web Dynpro ABAP applications are displayed in standards mode whenever possible (default rendering mode).
Defining the rendering mode (STANDARDS / QUIRKS) for Web Dynpro ABAP applications
It is possible to define the rendering mode on application level, for a single application and on global level for all Web Dynpro Applciations.
Parameter name: WDPREFERREDRENDERING
Starts the application in standards mode, provided the rendering engine supports standards mode.
The STANDARDS value is effective in IE 9+, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. IE8 is rendered always in quirks mode.
Starts the application in quirks mode, provided the rendering engine supports quirks mode. If it does not, the standards mode is used.
Forces the use of the standard mode for HTML rendering and results in the application terminating for all browsers that do not support this mode (e.g. Internet Explorer earlier than Version 9).
- Use of the parameter at application level works only as of SAP NetWeaver 7 EHP3 SP06. To be able to use it for SP05, you must implement SAP Note 1790704.
- For SAP NetWeaver 7 EHP2 SP15-17 please see SAP Note 2146291.
- As of SAP NetW3eaver 7.4 SP06 (SAP_UI SP07), standards is always used for all supported browsers except Internet Explorer.
Web Dynpro Application in integrated environments
The embedding environment (Portal, SRM, CRM, etc) MUST:
- Determine its own render mode (top-level webpage);
- Forward the parameter sap-ie to the embedded applications. The valid values are:
- EmulateIE8 (= Compatibility mode /Quirks/)
- Edge (= Standards mode).
Automatic switching of the rendering mode:
- SAP NetWeaver Business Client (NWBC) for HTML: SAP Note 1963267 enables Web Dynpro applications to be started as defined in the WdPreferredRendering application parameter. For this, the SAP NWBC for HTML automatically switches Internet Explorer to the suitable rendering mode. This requires a change in Web Dynpro ABAP that is contained in SAP Note 1956448.
- Web Dynpro ABAP in IFrame: As documented in SAP Note 1996956, Web Dynpro ABAP detects as of SAP NetWeaver 7.4 SP07 (SAP_UI SP08) which rendering mode is set and restarts itself in the appropriate mode. Since this requires the application to be restarted for technical reasons, we recommend that you pass the sap-ie parameter with the appropriate value. Furthermore, the system may display an error dialog box for a short time before switching.
- Various problems can occur in the layout due to difference in layout behavior of the Standards mode compared to Quirks mode. It may therefore be necessary to adjust the layout through the application.
Invisible elements due to height specifications of 100% note 2269215.
- Fixed height specifications, for example height=200px, were ignored in Quirks modes of the browsers if the contents required more space. In the Standards mode therefore, the contents may be truncated at the relevant height. The problem must be solved by changing the layout through the application.