Question: Because of the costs of the dataplans when buying an iPhone, I would like to use the cheaper iPod Touch instead for iPhone app development. What are limnitations for using an iPod Touch instead of an actual iPhone for app development?
While the iPod Touch is without a carrier contract cheaper than an iPhone, there are some limitations for app development and what you can test:
- telephone functionality (you cannot test calls, like from a clickable phone number in your app)
- no 3G means also no geolocation
- no testing of performance difference between WIFI, 3G and Edge
- no testing of what happens to the status of your app, when you receive a call
- iPhone 4: no availability of front facing camera