Frequently Asked Questions
Which SAP Products Are Supported On SQL Server 2008 (R2)?
SAP supports the following SAP products on SQL Server 2008 (R2):
- SAP products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and higher
- SAP products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3, or 7.0 EHP1 and higher
Which Editions Of Windows Server 2008 (R2) Are Supported With SQL Server 2008 (R2)?
SAP supports the following 64-bit Windows Server 2008 (R2) editions:
- Standard edition, Enterprise edition, Datacenter edition, and for Itanium-Based Systems edition
- Windows Server 2008 (R2) Server Core is not supported by SAP.
You find the information for supported Windows version in the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) at http://support.sap.com/pam.
With SQL Server 2008, SAP no longer supports 32-bit database servers or 32-bit application servers. If you run your SAP system on 32-bit Windows, you are not able to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (R2). SAP does not plan to support 32-bit SQL Server 2008 (R2) in the future.
Which Editions Of SQL Server 2008 (R2) Are Supported For Products Based on NetWeaver?
Please note that the Enterprise Edition is the only Edition supported by SAP for such products. This is explained in more detail in SAP note 62988.
Where Do I Find Information About Installing And Running An SAP System On SQL Server 2008 R2?
Besides the current installation guides for SAP NetWeaver 7.3 or SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2 for SQL Server, you can also read the following document: Upgrade to and Installation of SQL Server 2008 (R2) in an SAP Environment. You can download it at: http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Database Upgrades -> MS SQL Server (SMP Login required).
In addition, read the following SAP notes (SMP Login required):
Are Older SAP Releases Supported On SQL Server 2008 (R2)?
SAP releases based on 4.6C, 6.20 and 6.40 are not supported on SQL Server 2008 (R2) and Windows Server 2008 R2. However, you can run the older releases on SQL Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to prepare for an upgrade to an SAP release based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 and higher, or SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and higher.
For older SAP releases, you should perform the upgrade of the SAP system to newer SAP releases on SQL Server 2008 R2 after you migrated your operating system to Windows Server 2008 R2. To migrate the older SAP releases to SQL Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server R2, perform a system copy before you upgrade the system to newer SAP releases. For more information about the system copy procedure to move your older SAP releases to SQL Server 2008 R2, see SAP note 1476928 (SMP Login required).
SAP supports the upgrade of an older SAP release on Windows Server 2008 R2 with the following limitations:
- You do not run a high-availability SAP system.
- Your start release is 4.6C or 6.20 and 6.40. During the upgrade, the productive use of the SAP system is not allowed.
What Are The Benefits Of Using SQL Server 2008 (R2)?
SQL Server 2008 (R2) introduces many new features and enhancements in all SQL Server components.The following lists some of these new features used by SAP:
- Merge Command
- Backup Compression (optional)
- Transparent Data Encryption (optional)
- Changed Data Capture (optional)
- Star Join Optimization (BW)
- Grouping Sets (BW)
- Parallelism for partitions (BW)
- Row and Page compression
- increased speed of partition drop: 15000 Partitions (SQL Server 2008 SP2 - feature not yet available in SQL Server 2008 R2). For more information, see the following blog.
- Unicode compression (SQL Server 2008 R2)
Please provide any feedback or questions regarding the content under the current page comments. If you have an issue or is looking for help, try to post your question on SAP community with Microsoft SQL Server tag.
In order to leave comments, you must be logged on with your SAP account.