RIA - Enterprise scale web applications delivered using simple web browser providing rich user experience and interactivity at par with desktop applications and they sometimes also provides rich media experience (video and rich media to your applications)
RIAs usually consists of following layers
- backend data services (asynchronous load data )
- load chunks of data without requiring page refreshes and keep track of the application state in memory.
- rich front-end client (stateful client)
- store data about the current state of the application (eg. shopping cart content) in memory in the client.
When to go for RIAs
- to create complex data visualization
- performance dashboards
- multimedia experiences
RIA development technologies
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Adobe Flex
- Sun's JavaFX