- What is transaction variant
- How to use transaction variant
- Trouble Shooting Guide
- Most frequent problems
1. What is transaction variant?
Whenever you use a transaction in the SAP system to process specific business transactions, it often makes sense to adjust processing flow to mirror these business activities. This can be done by hiding all information not pertinent to the business. More important information should be placed in a better position.
With transaction variant you will be able to customize the layout of the screen:
- Inserting default values in fields
- Hiding and changing the ready for input status of fields
- Hiding and changing the attributes of table control columns
- Hiding individual menu functions
- Hiding entire screens
Transaction variants are actually made up of a series of screen variants. The field values and settings for each screen in the transaction variant are stored in a screen variant. You can create as many variants of a specific transaction as you like. These variants are started by entering a transaction code that you have selected.
Read WIKI Transaction and Screen variants to get more details.
2. How to transaction variant?
1). Set standard variant.
After you have create a transaction variant for a transaction, you can set it as "standard variant" in SHD0:
Afterwards, this transaction variant will be used every time when the transaction is started.
2). Create variant transaction.
A transaction with a transaction variant can have its own transaction code, which you can then use to execute the transaction with the appropriate transaction variant.
To create a variant transaction, proceed as follows:
SE93>Enter a transaction name, click "Create" button> Choose "Transaction with variant(variant transaction)":
In the next screen, input the transaction code and its transaction variant, save:
3) Use variant group.
Variant groups are an extension of standard variants. Variant groups are used when standard variants are not sufficient. For example, when:
- Different users or user groups are to work with different variants
- Some users are to execute a transaction with different variants
- Variant groups also provide the following possibilities:
- Variants from variant groups are automatically imported for the users that are assigned to the groups
- A user can be assigned to a number of groups and switch between the groups
- In batch input mode, the values from variant groups are not imported
- If a transaction is started with a different transaction variant, the values from a variant group are not also imported.
3. Technical restrictions.
Transaction variants are not always possible. Check SAP Note 331360 -Transaction variants are not always possible
4. Trouble Shooting Guide
Transaction variant / Screen variant is not working as expected.
You set fixed value for certain fields, but it is not working.
Transaction variants is lot lost after specific actions.
Transaction variants is lost when you exit the variant transaction (click F3 BACK button.eg).
and so on.
Please check Guided Answer Transaction variant / Screen variant is not working as expected.
5.Most frequent problems